Millions of high school students in the world get admission to study in Universities yearly and regardless of who they are or where they’re going to stay, these university freshmen/freshers are always faced with the dilemma of what to take to the university. If you’re reading these post on what to take to the university then you must be off to college and you’re contemplating what you will need and what you won’t. This university checklist serves to answer that question while giving you tips on how to choose what to take to the university.
While packing to your university or college accommodation, there are a lot of things to consider. First, you have to make sure that you don’t forget anything at home especially for those going to universities very far from home. You also have to make sure that you travel light because it’s highly likely that you won’t have a lot of space to yourself, You also need to minimize your spending because you’ll likely have a lot of other things to pay for when you get to your school so buying flashy and expensive things that you mind end up losing is not wise. So you can just check through this university checklist to pick the things that you might need.
You can also download the printable pdf of this checklist of things to take to the University to help you pack for school.
Table of Contents
- 1 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR KITCHENWARE
- 2 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS
- 3 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR STATIONERY
- 4 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR ELECTRICALS
- 5 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR BEDROOM SUPPLIES
- 6 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR CLOTHING
- 7 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR BATHROOM SUPPLIES
- 8 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR HEALTH CARE
- 9 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR MISCELLANEOUS
- 10 UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR FOODSTUFF
- 11 Share this:
- 12 Like this:
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR KITCHENWARE
I’ll be discussing this first because I’m one of those funny people with a dedicated love for eating and I can’t seem to live with an empty stomach so kitchenware to use to prepare homemade food is essential to me.
- Cutlery: Spoons, Knives, and forks.
Ensure you take enough cutlery because I’ve found that especially if you have roommates who will always borrow your cutlery for one reason or the other (because they lost theirs or they have visitors) or your cutleries might begin to mysteriously walk away on their own (probably because of your carelessness).
- Sandwich bags and tin foil for food storage
- Plates (Take at least four for both yourself and possible visitors).
- Bowls (Take at least five in varying sizes, at least one for taking cereals or cassava flakes (garri), one for rinsing your rice, pepper, vegetables etc, and any other function you can think of.)
- Sharp knife for cutting vegetables, etc
- Serving utensils: big spoon for serving rice, stew or soup and a spatula.
- Saucepan and frying pan
- Grater (for carrot, okra, etc)
- Bottle opener
- Napkin or oven gloves
- Washing bar or liquid soap and a sponge
- Tupperware or microwavable container
- Recipe book (if you don’t how to cook very well better get one except you want to rely on eating out and fast foods)
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS
You need this either for i
dentification or to complete your admission process so keep them in a safe and easily accessible place.
- IDS: International Passport (if you have one), Driver’s license, Voter’s card.
- University correspondence and admission documents like your acceptance letter, course form, WAECcertificate, certificate of state of origin and accommodation documents.
- Passport photographs
- Bank ATM cards
- Insurance documents
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR STATIONERY
- Pens and pencils
- Notepads, jotters and Notebooks.
- A4 binders
- Sellotape or sticky tape
- Markers (Permanent or otherwise)
- Ruler, eraser, razor blade, sharpeners
- Dictionary (you should have a soft copy on your phone or laptop)
- Textbooks and course books (for a school like mine, I’d advise you not to get any textbooks till you get to the University and consult with seniors or part advisers.
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR ELECTRICALS
Please note that you might not need to take everything on this list to the university because your uni might provide for it.
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Mobile Phone
- Extension cable
- USB memory stick or flash drive
- Printer and Scanner (You might not need this because you’ll see people offering printing and photocopying services commercially)
- Ipod or Mp3 player (Your phone can serve this function)
- Game consoles (If you know this will serve as a distraction, I’d advise you to leave it at home, your first year is the best time to build your CGPA)
- TV (optional)
- Speakers (optional)
- Desk Lamps
- Alarm clock
- Standing fan
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR BEDROOM SUPPLIES
- Mattress (If your school won’t provide this)
- Mattress protector
- Pillows and pillow cover
- Laundry Bins
- Cloth hangers
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR CLOTHING
- Casual Wear
- Underwear (Pants, boxers, singlets, socks)
- Winter coat or jacket
- Gloves, hats, caps, and scarfs
- Smart or official wear (You might need to dress smart to classes at times)
- Swimwear or sportswear
- Fancy clothes
- Night wear: Pyjamas or night gown whichever works for you.
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR BATHROOM SUPPLIES
- Wash bag
- Bathing sponge or glove
- Toothbrush and tooth paste
- Bathing soap or shower gel
- Washing clothes soap
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Perfume or deodorant
- Shaving stick and shaving foam
- Hairbrush and combs
- Toilet rolls
- Body cream
- Hair cream
- Sanitary pads or tampons
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR HEALTH CARE
- Any personal medications and prescriptions
- Basic first aid kit containing painkillers, antiseptic cream, plasters, nail cutter, etc
- Recommended glasses and an extra pair of recommended glasses
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR MISCELLANEOUS
- Photo album or soft copy of pictures of your family and friends
- Sturdy bag
- Small sewing kit
- Matches or lighter
- Board or card games
- Books or novels (fiction or nonfiction)
- Hair dryer or hair straightener
- Lip balm
UNIVERSITY CHECKLIST FOR FOODSTUFF
- Cereals: golden morn, corn flakes, garri
- Beverages like Milo, Bournvita, etc
- Packet foods like noodles, spaghetti/pasta, tomato paste
- Herbs and spices
- Kerosene for stove
If you think I forgot to add something to this checklist of things to take to the university, please don’t hesitate to drop your comments. Thanks for reading.