Ever heard of Fiverr?
Fiverr is a global online marketplace offering tasks and services that cost no lower than $5. The website currently has a global alexa ranking of 505 with a total of 33.3 million total visits as at April 2018.
Fiverr is a platform employed by freelancers all over the world to offer services to customers on a global scale. These freelancers called Sellers create “Gigs” which is the popular name given to services offered on Fiverr to be purchased by Fiverr buyers.
Let’s move to the next level, I’m sure the question most people are eager to ask now, just like most people are eager to ask after they hear about a new way to make money is
Table of Contents
HOW DOES IT (FIVERR) WORK?
STEP 1: SIGN UP
After signing up, if you used email to register, you’ll need to confirm your account by clicking the activation link that would be sent to your email and voila, you’re part of the Fiverr member community!
STEP 2: UNDERSTAND THE ROLES
THE FIVERR BUYER
A buyer on Fiverr has many opportunities to reach sellers of quality services that they need. Another advantage to Fiverr is that most times, even when you have a very low budget for a service, odds are, you’ll find a seller offering the service at that low budget. This might not be because they offer substandard services but because they are based in countries where dollars converts to their currency at a very high rate. For example, a dollar converts to more than three hundred and sixty naira in Nigeria.
A buyer can post requests to get sellers to try to outbid one another with different offers, so he has the chance to choose the seller offering the best service that would satisfy him from his list of offers.
Inevitably, with the large crowds of people on Fiverr, scams are kind of unavoidable.
Star ratings are on every seller’s profile and gigs to tell you how satisfactory their services are so you can choose wisely. Along with the star ratings, buyers also leave commentary to let you know how satisfied they were with the work of the seller.
After you order a gig and it is delivered, you have the opportunity to lament about the seller’s unsatisfactory job or praise the seller’s good job.
THE FIVERR SELLER
Every Fiverr seller starts at the preliminary level of New Seller which gives them the opportunity to move up to higher levels as far as the “Top Rated Sellers” Level. However, you still have to choose a fiverr category (or categories) that you can offer gigs.
As a new seller, you have the opportunity to create as many as six gigs, advisably in the same niche. For every $5 you earn on any gig whether the gig is $20 or more, Fiverr takes $1 so if someone orders a gig of $20, Fiverr takes 20% of your $20 which is $4 and you take the remaining $16.
STEP 3: MAKE THE CHOICE
Do you want to be a Fiverr seller or buyer? If you want to be a buyer, the search button is available for you to search for any services you might want or need.
If you want to be a seller, you might want to browse through the categories available to choose which services you’d like to offer.
STEP FOUR: THE FIVERR ORDER PROCESS
1. A buyer identifies a gig he/she is actually interested in purchasing and orders for the gig of say $20, He can pay the $20 using Paypal with additional charges from both Paypal and Fiverr debited along with the $20 from his account.
2. The order starts and the countdown begins.
3. However, the money is not immediately credited to the seller’s account even after the countdown has begun (probably because he/she has not actually worked for the money) and so the seller has to start work and deliver before his delivery deadline is up.
4. If the seller’s delivery is late, it affects his seller profile and ratings. If he doesn’t deliver, then the buyer can cancel the order and the seller might receive a negative rating for the gig.
5. If the seller delivers the work right on time or hours before delivery time ends, the client can mark the order as complete. He’s then asked to leave a review for the seller’s work. After going through the seller’s work, the buyer can leave a good or bad review on a five-star rating on three different aspects such as Communication with seller, Service as described and Buy again or recommend depending on the satisfaction the seller has given him or he might just decide not to leave a review at all.
6. If the client wasn’t satisfied with the work, he can request for modifications and seller works until they are satisfied. If the buyer marks the work as complete, then it’s fine, if not, the seller/buyer can contact Fiverr support and they will check the conversation between the buyer and seller and decide who is at fault based on their conversation.
7. 14 days after successful completion of a Fiverr gig, the money earned appears on a Fiverr Sellers account.
ADVANTAGES OF FIVERR TO BOTH BUYERS AND SELLERS
- It is free to join. You don’t have to pay any fees.
- The website user interface is easy to use and pretty engaging.
- Creating is not a science experiment and is very easy. I’ll advise you to check out gigs by people on the site so you don’t end up making a gig with no customers.
- Buyers and sellers from all over the world are accepted. The term ‘Global’ marketplace is not used just for publicity and you can see people from different countries actually earning money.
- You can receive payments from almost all parts of the world because they have alternate means of payment: Paypal and Payoneer. If one does not work for you, then the other should.
DISADVANTAGES OF FIVERR TO BUYERS AND SELLERS
- Because of the easy to use interface and worldwide global audience and members, the online marketplace that is Fiverr is overcrowded especially with Sellers and it is really hard for a new seller to get recognized.
If you notice that I’ve missed or forgotten something, please share with us all in the comment section. You can also check out my own content writing gigs through this link.